The past week has been a blast, but today I'm soo sad:-( I kind of wish I could just skip the traveling around Ghana I'm going to do over the next week and stay in Tamale, but it wouldnt work out logistically anyways. I just really love this city. It freaks me out that I may never be back here because it feels like my home.
Friday was my little guitar show at Sparkles:-) We started an hour late, and ended up with two mics and one mic stand, after being promised four mics, all with stands by the "sound technician", but it was still lots and lots of fun. We all went to Giddipass after, which is the other restaurant in town and danced on the roof to live reggae music for the rest of the night Hmmmmm:-)
My day trip to Kintampo waterfalls with the Sweds was also wonderful. We spent a lot of time swimming in the falls and it was just so beautiful and happyyy. We asked a random Ghanaian guy to take pictures of us while we were swimming, which absolutely made his day, and he got some really good shots(im tagged in a few on facebook).
I recently realized that I havent written very much about my experiences at the hospital- so I guess Ill just fill everyone in on that in person- but heres one story anyways- Whenever elderly people come in I feel really drawn to them, so im beginning to think that ill want to work with them in the future. One eighty four year old woman came in about a week ago with what they were calling a ' septic diabetic wound'. She has diabetes but doesnt have the resources/knowledge/desire?/time? to do anything about it, and because of all the sugar in her cells she cant heal as well- So, when she got a few cuts on her feet and never did anything about them, they just got bigger and all infected and gross- even after three days in the hospital the wound was still growing?(i dont fully understand it) and it had become a hole straight through her foot...it was like her flesh was just gone....just bones and tendons and nasty rotten goup. I guess I might not have been talking about it because most of the stories are gross. I wanted to share this one though because its one of many cases that probably would have been prevented in the US. She has been transferred to a different hospital to have her foot amputated and I feel so deeply sad for her.
Something exciting- I cant remember if I wrote about the little boy at the orphanage who is three but never learned to walk and has relly shriveled legs. I was even worried he might have polio, but I would still take him on walks everyday(while holding his hands) to try and get him stronger and a couple weeks ago i was with him when he took his first independent steps!! It was such a happy moment, we both couldnt stop laughing. I'll never forget it. He now toddles all over the place:-)
In other news, I have a massive stye(sp?) on my eye and its really pissing me off. Its atleast three times the size of the ones iv had before and i cant open my eye all the way, so thats embarassing-its like any kind of sickness/infection is most serious in africa, maybe cause i sweat so much. Im really looking forward to not having random ghanaian bights and sores and infections. Also have some type of bight on my hand that got all swollen so one hands bigger than the other and its always oozing(sorry-disgusting) and ahhhh i just cant wait for normal skin and to not be itchy.
Going nowww
lovelovelove
Sunday, May 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Jilly. So great to hear your stories. You helped a boy to take his first steps! How exhilirating and wonderful. I can just see you dancing on that roof to reggae. I believe that you will be back in Tamale someday...sooner than you think. You have taught me that anything is possible. Love you...see you soon.
ReplyDelete-mama
Jill- You are a strong, courageous, generous, loving and joyful young woman and you have a special place in my heart. I enjoy reading about your experiences. Love ya, Sharon Arthur (EGA)
ReplyDelete