Soo I recently went on a trip with the family to Bolga, Paga(both northern Ghana) and Togo- the next country over. We were all tagging along with David, who was going for work, mainly because of the Crocodile pond in Paga. I don't know how they go about training the crocodiles- im actually worried that its inhumane....but somehow i sat on a crocodile on the bank of a pond, with many others lurking in the water behind me, and lived to tell the tale. We paid three cedis for a couple of chickens whose chirping drew the crocs out of the water and were also the distraction for when I sat on one. It felt like a bad idea but I did it anyways- pictures coming soon.
Being in Togo was neat mostly because it made me really appreciate Ghana. There was more poverty, and more muslims and the people were far, far less friendly. First time I've seen women walking around in full burka's- even faces and feet entirely covered. Apparently, because it is especially hot in Togo, Christian missionaries never stayed and thus it is still mainly Muslim. Heard that from Fred- may or may not be true. The place was really dusty and depressing. Though people on the street werent so smiley, we had dinner at a friends of Davids and the famly was very very kind. I talked with the oldest child, a girl of 20, it was neat to hear about all her goals.
Worst part of the trip was the trouble at the border- the guys there enjoy their position of power even more than USborder control cause they can demand bribes from everyone. I went through all the necessary steps to leave Ghana legally and they still gave me a hell of a time. I cried. It was horrible and embarrasing. I cry tooo easily though. Overall, it was neat to see different places but I was really happy to be back home in Tamale:-)
Something else exciting- witnessed a serious cat fight at the orphanage the other day- between two grown women. I was playing with the kids outside when I noticed one large woman running full speed at another... and before I knew it they had literally torn each others clothes off and were pounding on each other- one wearing only her underwear(no bra) and the other having just a skirt left- while a handful of other ladys tried to pull them off ecah other. I was quite shocked. I've heard since that it had something to with what one woman said to the others husband...
Will most likely be going on a day trip this week with the sweds to Kintampo Waterfalls. Should be fun. I love waterfalls.
See everyone soooooon!
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hi jilly. so glad it's may and you will be coming home soon. crocodiles lured by chicks, men on power trips, and grown women fighting...UGH. you are seeing life on life's terms and it isn't always pretty. i miss you my beautiful, brave daughter. love you DEARLY!
ReplyDeleteWow....the neighborhood's going to be pretty boring back here in HF !!! Can't wait to see you !
ReplyDeleteMr. M.
Can't wait to see you Jill and hear more details about all your adventures. Ellie asks at least once a week, "Is Jill coming home from Africa soon?" We're all anxious to see you :)
ReplyDeleteP.S. Reading the crocodile part of your post was hard, I kept closing my eyes to get rid of the visual.
I Love you!
Jen