Sometime over the past month I've really reached a new level of comfort and I'm holistically happier here. Not that I wasn't happy before...I think it just feels more like home, and everything comes easier now. I was even thinking about staying for an extra week or two but it probably wont happen- the point is that I'm genuinly enjoying this experience.
I've been spending a lot of time with my two swedish friends, and also these three Dutch guys that are here with the same organization as the Sweds. Its a very welcome comfort, but I'm also glad they werent here the whole time because I do think I would have missed out on getting to know the culture and the Ghanaians so well. And its been empowering to be so independent.
Last week I was sitting for drinks with Emma, my swedish friend, at Sparkles- which is like one of the few actual restaurants here. The Ghanaians tend to buy food on the street and take it home, or find a random place to sit and eat, so there are few places with tables, and Sparkles is owned by a Dutch guy so it kind of caters to the white people here as well- you can always find some there. For that reason I try not to go there tooo often, since I can be with white people for the rest of my life and I may never be in Africa again, but still, its very inviting because i know i can eat the food without getting sick and they play good music and its nice to be in the shade. But Anyways! we were chatting, when this notoriously stoned and obnoxious guy, who has nicknamed himself Mr. Happy, came and sat with us. We were both annoyed and tried to continue our conversation, and he kept randomly chiming in a deep voice "so how was your day?". Eventually emma and I just started cracking up cause he's ridiculous and he thought we were laughing cause we enjoyed him or something? And also started laughing-but in a high pitched giggle, which only encouraged the two of us. And then he started going on about how we are the new "Mrs. Happies" because we laugh a lot and how he likes happy people... The moment and also my whole conversation with her was really refreshing cause I felt like I was with someone who I'd known for a long time. We're very like-minded, which probably shouldnt have surprised me since we're both here. But still, I think its neat to be so at ease with someone foreign who ive only known for a few weeks.
There's also these three dutch guys I've been spending time with, and they're also fun. One of them, Martin, brought his guitar along and we've been playing together often. We've even been invited to have a little show one night at Sparkles:-) When he first invited me to "jam" together I was kind of nervous cause im not that good at the guitar, but im sooo glad I agreed. Music makes me happy:-)
Over the past week I went on a trip to Paga and Togo(the next country over) with my host family. The car ride was horrible but the trip overall was real fun. In Paga I sat on a crocodile.... I'll write again soon and talk more about that.
Want to thank everyone at once for all the comments and also the individual messages/updates. Though I don't always reply I really really cherish hearing from you all<3
Saturday, May 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment