Saturday, April 3, 2010

Mangos and Mothers and Other Beautiful Things

It's mango season in Tamale and I'm really enjoying it. They're not just like the mangos in Rachaha, but I like them better anyways. They're extremely juicy and you're supposed to rip off the top with your teeth, spit it out, and then suck out all the deliciousness from that hole you've made. I have not at all mastered eating them gracefully. I inevitably get covered in orange slime and it makes me feel like a baby with her birthday cake.

I'm even lucky enough to have a huge mango tree right in my front yard, and Sandra, Paco(David's name at home) and I go out most nights to try and knock the ripe ones down by throwing other unripe mangos at them. One time Paco enlisted two little boys that were walking by to climb the tree for us and get them. The mango farmers hire small boys, probably around 5 or 6, to fetch the fruit because they can go out onto the thin branches without breaking them(hopefully). I was in awe of the kid's climbing skills and his friends ability to direct him to where the mangos were. I also feared for his life.

Something else that has come with the end of my first month here, is a female Ghanaian friendship:-) Her name's Vera and I met her in the culture center, where she sells African TyeDye. We chatted in her shop over mangos for a while and she invited me to come to church with her, and over to her house to learn how to cook some Ghanaian's dishes- which I've since done. It was fun:-) She's 25, and she's very giving and gentle, and I really like her, but there are certainly cultural boundaries...I think would be hard for us to get very very close because there's just so much we don't relate on. We'll see though.

Also recently took the babies at the orphanage to the local clinic, which was somewhat of an ordeal since we had to walk there and some of the staff needed to stay with the older kids. I carried one baby tied to my back with a piece of cloth like a little baboooshka, while also carrying one in my right arm, and a bag of medicine in the other - All the women around here walk around that way, and it really fascinates me- that, and the things they balance on their heads. I've seen a woman carrying 4 huge bowls of charcoal stacked on her head, also with a baby on her back, and a child holding her hand. Unbelievable. I've been noticing women around here a lot- the patriarchial society and entitled ways of the men makes the strength and kindness of the women really stand out. I am undeservingly lucky to be a woman in the US.

The clinic was packed with mothers and sickly, sometimes starving, looking children. Everybody looked like they had their hands full, yet when they saw we were coming in with orphans, more than a few ladies were eager to help us. I was really struck by the feeling of the place. It looked so depressing - a sticky hot, fly filled room, with filthy walls and wooden benches crowded with noticably poor women and their sick children- yet it felt full of love. All the moms were calm and seemed to be looking out not only for their kids, but also for each other. I strangely, and guiltily, had a feeling of comfort there.

In my old age(hehe) I'm really coming to realize how much my own parents must love me. I've always known they do, but I never really realized how intense it must be. I definitely owe them forever. I think being around orphans, and then being around kids with parents started me thinking about motherhood/fatherhood and how crazy/cool it must be.


Going to go try and get home before it starts downpouring again- when it rains here it REally rains...
Sorry my posts are so long. I always plan to make them shorter but Ithere is always more to say. There are still so many things I've done that I haven't said anything about.
Thanks to everyone for readinggg:-)

quick ps. gave a baby with malaria a shot today. a good learning experience but i felt bad for him:-( ill have to get used to poking little kids

5 comments:

  1. i like that your posts are long! i never want them to end! don't hold back :]

    i lol'd at the mango discription...i can perfectly imagine you making a total mess of yourself and enjoying it at the same time.

    can you take a pic w/ your african siblings at some point?? i'm curious to see what they look like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi jij. so good to hear your voice on skype tonight and say goodnight. miss and love you. glad that africa has plenty of mangos for you!! i agree with molly, don't hold back on the length of the posts. i don't want them to end. love you and miss you terribly. mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill-Love the stories! I read them over and over. I would love to see a pic as well. Thanks for anwering my questions and telling me where they were. Really cool for you to open up about your experience. Take care! Love Lib, Kath and Iz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo there Jillian,
    Finally I get on here with a little (?) help from Lib. Have emailed you regular but don't think that you're getting them. Nevertheless....
    Am absolutely loving your Ghana journal. It is incredibly rich!! Am like Molly, Lib and others who wish they were longer.
    Hope you don't mind, but I will be putting US News & World Report from Honeoye Falls on here as I don't know where else to put it, and I have to put it somewhere cause you know how I like to chat...
    Now, to see if this posts and if it does, we're off and running. Love & hugs, Q

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aloha from Hawaii Jillian! At last I have got around to reading your wonderful blog. It makes me even more disappointed we miss each other by a few weeks in Tamale! Your messages and descriptions of life there serve me well as I prepare to go. One day our paths will cross..obviously not in Africa...possibly in Hawaii! Enjoy your new found friends and I hope your last weeks in Ghana prove to be the VERY best. From somebody 3 times your age...I salute your courage, endeavour and convictions. From afar we are Kindred Spirits! Aloha, Jill

    ReplyDelete