Wednesday, March 17, 2010

One of many Ghanaian delicacies

I love the food here!! I'm going to try and learn how to make sme things so I can have it back home. I've loved what Mariama cooks from the beginning but I've started eating food off the street and its really exciting haha

My favorite is what I've had for lunch the past few days- fried yam. When you say you want fried yam, they'll mix it with pepper, some other oily, brownsih liquid and your choice of fish, a boiled egg or beans. Yams are like giant potatoes but the consistency is a little different. They're about the size of zuchinnis or larger, and they're cut into hunks and fried in a big pot over a fire on the side of the road. The woman selling, scoops some yams out of the oil and puts them in a little plastic bag then takes a scoop of the 'pepper', which is this liquidy tomato sauce with onions and the spice pepper(different from our pepper)in it, and somehow it also tastes fishy...Then the brownsih, oily liquid I dont know about, and Then they scoop in some groundnut(peanut)powder aka kulikulizim and lastly the fried fish, egg or beans. And the fish will of course be a whole fish, with scales and bones and eyes.

Soo then you kind of jiggle your bag around to get the yam covered in all the sauces etc and reach right in with your right hand. And its sooo yummy!

Oh and you can't forget to invite anyone you're with to eat with you. Its kind of hard to remember, and even if I do remember people don't usually accept, but people actually take it as an insult if you do not say "you are invited" before eating. You're supposed to say this even if they have their own food in front of them, and even if you're with a dozen people, you're supposed to invite everyone. Because they know I'm not from around here I get some leniency, but I want to try and abide by as much of the culture as I can eventually. I see this is as a small example of how everybody is very focused on looking out for each other here. There are many little cultural things that add up to make me feel holistically very safe and comfortable.

Buying fried yam is also fun because the people get sooo excited when I try to speak their language. They laugh really hard and start going off in the local language and asking me more simple questions to see what else I know and they're usually still laughing as I walk away haha

This was supposed to be a short post...but oh well
Missing everyone
<33

1 comment:

  1. hmmmmmm, i'll have to try the new fish recipe...maybe we'll start saying "you are invited" here at home :-)

    ReplyDelete