Wednesday, March 24, 2010

24th March

So I'm officially independent getting around Tamale now, and I really love it. It's kind of empowering to navigate this foreign place and foreign people all on my own. I come home feeling good about myself. And it's also a lot of fun. Literally every time I walk through town a school kid/street kid comes up to me and says they want to be my friend and shows me around a few places or just walks and talks with me. And other days random vendors ask me to come and sit with them, and we chat about their way of life and then mine, and then they answer my latest questions about the language. And most days I buy bananas from this same lady and it makes her soo excited that I'm her regular customer. She always excitedly says, "You be back tomorrow?" Then i say yes and she says "Ahhhh:-) Goooood"

Something else fun- I've learned that many people in Ghana aren't afraid to pick their nose in public - or even while having a conversation with someone. First I just thought this one lady sharing a taxi with me was uninhibited in her old age...but since then I've seen a handful of other people chatting while digging for gold, as they say. It makes me laugh.

In other news, I'm in love with a little boy at the orphanage. It freaks me out how quickly I've become attached to him...and I don't really know what it is. I think he's about three but he doesn't have a name yet because they recently found him, and he couldn't tell them one. He's really smiley and easy going and it's a serious struggle for me not to favor him. I even catch myself instinctively giving him more food, and then I have to correct cause I know its not right. He was really sick this weekend so it made him really cling to me and cry more often, and the ladies there were hitting him on the head for crying so much and it made Me want to cry. At the end of the day I have to leave without saying goodbye cause I'm afriad I'll cry then too. I know I should probably try to not be so attached but I don't know how.

3 comments:

  1. Jill, A couple of your comments really reminded me of our time in Tanzania. The "digging for gold" must be a common thing. We saw it everywhere, too.

    We were just at our orphanage for 11 days but I still am finding it hard to be away from the kids! It is so easy to get really attached! And, I'm sorry to say, there were some "favorites". There were 4 of us and we each became attached to different children. Its so hard not to!!

    The musical senior citizen performance is today. I bet that seems like an entire world away from what you are experiencing now! Enjoy every minute!!

    Congrats on learning your way around! That's a big accomplishment!

    Mrs. Mueller

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tearing up. You are soo sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jillian,
    I love your blog, and really appreciate that you take the time to write about your adventures. I have been using you as an example in one of my classes. We have been talking about traveling to other countries, and things to know before you go to different places. I have gotten great information from your posts. It is wonderful to have an actual personal account to use. Plus, you add some really great personal information that you do not get from websites and travel guides.
    We think of you regularly and pray for you nightly.
    Lots of love, hugs and kisses,
    Aunt Maggie and the Friskies

    ReplyDelete